Studentbostäder i Norden - Rental policy

1. Introduction

Studentbostäder i Norden AB shall be characterized by our values, to be responsible, open and forward leaning.

The policy is aimed at our housing applicants and is also available to read on the company's website

All rental of vacant student housing and housing must be done according to queue points via SBS queue. Our homes in Luleå are managed by Local deviations may also occur with other housing agencies.  When renting, there must be no unlawful discrimination.

To rent a home from us, you must meet certain general requirements. We have special income requirements for regular housing and study requirements for student housing.

2  General requirements

You should:

  • Be at least 13 years old to be able to register on SBS's housing queue.
  • Be caring and have taken care of your commitments in your current accommodation. Studentbostäder i Norden AB may request housing references from a previous landlord. Remarks regarding how you previously managed your accommodation from the previous landlord will not be accepted.
  • During your stay with us have a valid home insurance.
  • Intend to use the home as a permanent residence and permanently live and register at the apartment's address. It is not allowed to own another permanent residence, such as a tenancy, condominium or villa property. This means that when managing the rental process of the home you applied for, you may be required to have a certificate stating that the ownership in the previous home is to be disposed of or that you no longer own another permanent home.
  • In furnished apartments or corridors pets are not allowed.
  • In the homes that are rented out furnished you are responsible for furniture and furnishings. Any wear and tear that is designated abnormal will be charged to the tenant. You are also responsible for ensuring that all furniture is in the apartment when moving out.
  • When moving out, book an inspection of your home and leave your keys on time. Abnormal wear and tear will be charged to the tenant such as grease stains, boreholes, tear marks on wallpaper, moisture damage, marks on floors, holes in waterproofing in wet space, inadequate cleaning, etc.

3. Income requirements ordinary housing

You should:

  • Have an income 2.5 times the annual rent, so that based on the rent for the apartment applied for, you meet the standard for a reasonable standard of living. This applies to both short-term contracts and open-ended contracts. The income must be based on work, pension, unemployment benefit, student aid or grants. Forms of benefit that are counted as income are housing allowance and child benefit. Joint income can be counted if you have a co-applicant who permanently intends to live with you in the home. Only income from a co-resident can be included in joint income.
  • Be able to prove all income through certificates from employers or equivalent for them to be included. When working, the pay slips of the last three months must be displayed, as well as employment contracts.
  • If you are self-employed, you must be able to prove your income with, among other things, the latest submitted tax return to the Swedish Tax Agency, register extracts from the Swedish Tax Agency, current profit and balance sheet report and newly issued certificate from the auditor. Self-employed persons must have been active for at least 1 year.
  • Do not have any payment defaults.

4. Requirements student housing

  • During your time of residence, be a full-time student at a university, college, vocational education, or national high school. That is, studies that comprise at least 30 credits per semester where you must pass at least 15 credits or equivalent within your education. You have the right to apply for a 2-semester study break during your study period by emailing us at
  • After the expendable study break, you either need to continue with your studies of 30 credits or full full-time studies or terminate your housing contract.
  • Be able to prove this through admission notices and registration certificates.
  • Do not have any payment defaults.

In cases where applicants have provided incorrect above information and signed a lease agreement with Studentbostäder i Norden AB, this misconduct leads to us being able to terminate the lease with the support of the provisions of the Rental Act until termination and removal. Furthermore, the provision of incorrect information and certificates may lead to a police report.

5. Overcrowding

To prevent unhealthy living conditions in our properties, the following guidelines apply against overcrowding. We follow the general recommendation from the National Board of Housing, Building and Planning regarding how many people can live in an apartment. This means the following:

  • 1 room in shared corridor max 1 person
  • 1 room and kitchen max 2 people
  • 2 rooms and kitchen max 3 people
  • 3 rooms and kitchen max 4 people
  • 4 rooms and kitchen max 6 people

The special provisions of the rental contract state how many people can live in the home.

6. Direct exhcange and second hand rental

You should:

  • Follow the rules of the soil code in the application for a change of apartment.
  • Inspect your home and have no unpaid debts regarding the home before signing
    the contract.
  • Have a valid reason to sublet, e.g. test living with a cohabiting partner or studying
    abroad. Subletting is allowed for 6 months at a time, after which a new application
    must be submitted. The processing time is 1-2 months.
  • Check that the intended exchange contractor/sub-tenant meets our above